Amazon

Wednesday 27 May 2020

Foreign meat cuts posters. Are you as interested in them as me?

A few years ago I was lucky enough to go to the city of Leiden in Holland to visit my friends Emma and Ronald. I wrote several blog posts about the experience and one of the most popular was about Emma and myself going into a Dutch butchers' shop and ordering some sirloin steaks. Having been a former butcher for a goodly portion of my working life I am always fascinated by how the shops in Holland, France and Germany look and display their products. Normally, if I am staying in an hotel I wouldn't buy fresh meat but, as it was, I was staying at their apartment and had promised to cook them steaks. If you want to read about my meat buying experience you can at https://mugofstrongtea.blogspot.com/2017/05/buying-sirloin-steaks-from-dutch-butcher.html






The different names of the cuts of meat on the foreign animals always fascinates me and here are some from France, followed by more modern Dutch versions.








And now the Dutch ones.






Recently I was conversing online with my young German friend Thorsten and we were both barbecuing or grilling a steak for our evening meal. It was an enjoyable conversation with me on the outskirts of Nottingham and he on the outskirts of the German city of Stuttgart.

Thorsten's hufte beef steak with sweetcorn, roast potatoes, bread and aioli.


My rib eye steak with new potatoes, peppercorn sauce and dandelion leaves.

 

He posted me some German meat cuts posters and the white lamb one at the bottom is from Austria showing some slightly different names for the cuts.











No comments: