Amazon

Sunday 9 February 2014

Talking meat and drama on hospital radio at the Queens Medical Centre with Kev Castle.

I have just returned from a very enjoyable hour long chit chat with radio presenter Kev Castle at the world renowned Queen's Medical Centre and Nottingham University medical school. Kev is an excellent presenter on the Sunday morning slot on hospital radio and I was invited along to talk about my life in the food industry and also my experiences in the world of drama and reviewing plays and shows. Kev is also a fellow reviewer so we had a lot in common and I'm sure we could have chatted much longer than the hour allowed. We covered my school days and early butchering experiences, my book Tales From The Block, my blogs, my time doing Crossroads as an extra, my love of food and cooking and equally my love of the theatre and acting and reviewing. thankfully we never had time for me to sing The Museum Song from Barnum. Kev was very well prepared with more than enough questions to get us through the interview and he made it a very relaxed event. Off air we chatted about his interviews with the likes of Leo Sayer and cast members of the Crossroads soap.

 
 
I was asked to offer him six music tracks to play and  I chose the following:

  • Title track from Jesus Christ Superstar (because it was the first musical I got to enjoy and this lead me into a life of enjoying musical theatre)

  • Paul Young's Every Time You Go Away - you take a piece of meat with you. (of course the proper lyric is 'take a piece of me with you' but it sounds like meat) Led nicely into my experience in the world of butchery and an interesting diversion of the practice of humane killing for cows and lambs.

  • Leo Sayer's Moonlighting. (because I love the story-telling element in the song and similar songs of that era.)

  • Kate Bush's The Man With The Child In His Eyes ( cos I fell in love with Kate and her beautiful weirdness and lyrics that have a good degree of poetry to them)

  • Space Oddity by David Bowie (because it reminded me of my late ten years and all my mates and myself knowing the words and percussion and singing it on the way home from the pub.)

  • Razzle Dazzle from the musical Chicago (I had recently been to see and review the show at Curve in Leicester and this led to discussion about play reviewing.)
See you again Kev for the next interview some day soon! And as for that Museum Song here it is.


No comments: