Amazon

Thursday 20 August 2020

Love shopping or just mooching around supermarkets on holidays abroad? Check this out.

 I love mooching around foreign supermarkets to see how different they are laid out and what their cultural offerings are. For example one time when I went to Bordeaux I stood for ages at the dried herbs section just reading all the names in French of herbs and spices and was amazed that their fish counter and the different display methods to when I worked at Tesco. Then there was whole chiller sections dedicated to duck and goose products! I also love cured meats and get very excited when I see much bigger offerings from what I might see at home in the UK. Such was the case when I went to Leiden in Holland.


As I mentioned in the last blog post I have recently come across #SpainRevealed on YouTube which is curated by James Blick and Yolanda Martin, a very enthusiastic couple based in Madrid. This video below in which they visit a big Spanish supermarket is eye opening and I learnt so much about the way the Spanish shop at supermarkets and what appeals to them. I have a friend who lives and teaches English in Barcelona and she told me that such supermarkets are often on the outskirts of the big cities and you really need a car to shop there. When I saw the Iberico hams on display in the Spanish supermarket I was in cured meats heaven. Do check it out.


No comments: