Amazon

Thursday 10 September 2020

Ruddington Village Market. Adventures with smoked fish from Smith's Smokery of Linconshire.

 The Ruddington Village Market happens once a month at the beginning of the month and last weekend I had a mooch round and ended up buying some smoked fish items from a very pleasant guy running the Smith's Smokery Smoked Fish stall. He had come to our village all the way from Skegness and was doing a great trade. I purchased a whole smoked eel and a pack of two smoked salmon pieces that were close to their use by date of 9th Sept and on sale for a bargain £4 for the two. The eel cost me a fiver.

I filleted and skinned the Wild Smoked Eel and made myself a smoked eel salad on the day of purchase. Delicious.





The smoked salmon was refrigerated until the 8th when I decided to make a salmon and leek shortcut pastry pie. I did it all in stages by poaching the salmon and steaming the two big leaks. I made a pastry base and coddled together lid from a shop bought ready made pastry. The mushrooms were chopped up and gently fried  in butter. To add some more flavours I raided my cupboard for a few salty capers and opened a small tin of anchovies. These were all quite random 'I wonder what would go nice with it?' additions and to finish I sliced a tomato and added a home made cheese sauce. 








With the pastry lid in place and the sides trimmed I popped the pie in a pre-heated oven at gas mark 6 for an hour. I don't know if I put too much cheese sauce in but when i checked to cooked about 30 minutes in there was some spillage. I whipped the pie out and transferred to pie dish into a low ceramic dish and washed the oven tray once cooled. I gave some of the finished pie to my elderly neighbour Betty and ate a good slice of mine with some new potatoes. 





The next day I pigged out on the reheated remainder of the pie with some steamed and buttered asparagus. I can't wait to see what tempts me at the Ruddington Village Market in early October.













 




No comments: