So, this weekend I'd arranged some holiday time from work and on Friday I put a lot of my bits and pieces away to prevent them getting filthy from the inevitable dust and to prevent accidental breakages. On Saturday all the curtains came down and I covered what I could up with old sheets. I was going to clean the muddy paw prints from the front room windows caused by a playful cat called Loki and then I reasoned that it was pointless because the windows were about to be ripped out. Doubtless Loki will be back to put his mucky prints on the new windows.
The bedroom windows were the worst, Victorian sash windows like downstairs but the paint on the woodwork was all flaking off and the panes would run with condensation every time I had a bath, dried wet clothing in the house or if the outside temperature was colder than indoors with the heating on.
Here are a series of 'before' pictures to document the change.
|peeling paint and exposed wood|
|the window lock in the bedroom|
Bedroom window before
It took the two guys from 9.30am to 4.45pm to do all four windows. I wasn't able to have the blind back in the kitchen window (drat, no more coming downstairs naked then!) for practical reasons and there was a fair amount of filthy dust to hoover up and surfaces to wipe clean but otherwise the double glazers were very friendly and professional. I went into town and kept out their way while they were taking the old windows out.
Back of the house
Front of the house