Amazon

Friday 25 December 2015

Christmas dinner chez Phil Lowe. Stage One.

Similar to last year I am hoping to bring in some European Christmas dinners to the pages of this blog from friends in Germany and Holland and maybe France. But first I will start by wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and thank you all for continuing to read my food based blog. As always it is a pleasure for me to share my passions for food with you.

I got up about 8.30am today after crawling off to bed around 10pm last night. I had been at work until 7pm and by the time I got home it was around 8pm. I was lucky with trams and bus. At least I remembered to take my joint of beef rib roast out of the freezer before I went to sleep. Likewise a bag of Heston Blumental chicken stock that I had stored at the back of the freezer since August 2014! I knew it would come in handy one day.

Something nice happened on the way home from work too. I popped in to the local Sainsbury's Local store in the village and, quite by surprise, the manager there gave me a bottle of Prosecco as a Christmas gift!





Back to today. The rib roast is in the oven to cook for four hours on a low heat. I had added some spices to the cooking water for extra flavour - basil leaves - star anise - cinnamon bark and cloves inserted into the top of the joint. Later in the day I will be adding some small onions for even more flavour. The veg will be new potatoes, carrot and broccoli spears.



Given that I never had the inclination to cook myself a meal last night I was quite hungry this morning and made myself a fry up with the local butcher's Lincolnshire sausages, three rashers of smoked bacon and a fried egg with a wadge of chutney on the side. As a treat I also had some smoked salmon with fresh lemon juice and a crunch of black pepper.


Michael Ball's Christmas cd is on the stereo and I have cracked open my first beer. More blog posts to come...

Later in the day...


No comments: