Amazon

Wednesday 25 March 2009

Children in restuarants?

Do the British have a problem with children in restaurants? Should they be allowed under a certain age?

On the radio the other day there was an incident reported where a couple had gone to a nice restaurant for a romantic meal and on the table next to them was a young family with a very young baby. All was well until the baby decided to have a screaming fit that went on and on. The couple felt that their meal/evening out was totally ruined especially as the child's parents didn't do a great deal to placate the baby and just gave 'oh babies' looks at the restaurant clientele.

It didn't help either that the kid threw a spoon in the air and it landed on the courting couple's table, knocking over their glass of wine.

Do some restaurants go over the top when creating child/ family- friendly environments?
Should there always be a separate children's menu and does this generally mean lower quality food?

Perhaps we in Britain should be more like France, Spain & Italy, where diners and restaurateurs seem more relaxed about kids in restaurants? Can we encourage kids to enjoy the experience? more? What do you think?

8 comments:

The Accidental Fan said...

Well, people debark dogs...

French Fancy... said...

We've seen countless kids in restaurants over here and they've been no trouble. At the first signs of a tantrum one of the parents just gives the kid a slap and that soon stops the brat.

Bring back the cane I say

Dean said...

There is nothing worse than other peoples kids !

Strange that when on holiday the kids are welcome in restaurants (UK and Abroad) and are generally well behaved, Perhaps it is the relaxed attitudes of the parents that rub off on the kids or something.

feasting-on-pixels (terrie) said...

Well...the restos I go to, there are never any children as they are upscale and I go in the evening while all good tots are asleep.

I love children and encounter many at Farm Markets. They are fun to watch and I hope they are learning where their food comes from...
What I do absolutely hate are the moms that feel that they are entitled run over your toes because they have kids in a pram...not really fair to my toes...
This spring I may just get a pram at a flea market so I can fill it with my Farm Market veggies and run over some snotty moms toes...lol...
Well maybe not...they have their hands full with the children, I do not envy them.

StGeorgeOfEngland said...

Well I'm with French Fancy on this one. I always found that a good firm beating stopped any kid from whining, crying or having a tantrum.

Yeah of course I am joking. I have three of my own and luckily they are always well behaved when we are out. Alot of it is down to parenting but also the age of the child. Too young and the poor little blighters do not have the patience to sit through a long meal.
As kids we werwe always accepted in bars and restaurants in France, Spain, Germany etc..

French Fancy... said...

Send them back up the chimneys

StGeorgeOfEngland said...

Or down t'pit!

The Accidental Fan said...

I think the guy who wrote the Water Babies had the right idea.